“Any G” Performance to Transform Mobile Experience and Economics for the Next Decade
Dubai, United Arab Emirates, Feb. 15, 2011 – Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR) today announced MobileNext, the industry’s first open mobile core for 2G/3G and LTE networks that enables mobile operators to profit from the rapid increase in mobile data traffic from smartphones and other mobile device types. MobileNext is a suite of software that runs on Juniper Networks industry leading MX 3D Universal Edge Router and Junos® software platform. MobileNext delivers on the “Project Falcon” initiative with breakthrough products, solutions and business models that address the needs of mobile operators today.
MobileNext, with industry leading scalability of mobile sessions, set up rates and forwarding capacity, enables high-definition voice and video delivery with seamless handoff between 3G and LTE for non-interrupted user experience while integrating a rich portfolio of in-line IP services. These in-line services, including Deep Packet Inspection, Traffic Direct for Internet offload, Carrier Grade NAT, Firewall, Video Optimization, MPLS, and Application Load Balancing, provide deployment flexibility and dramatically reduce TCO to mobile operators.
MobileNext software offerings includes the following three key elements for 2G/3G and LTE mobile packet cores:
· MobileNext Broadband Gateway: Providing GGSN and PDN/Serving Gateway functions in one platform, the MobileNext Broadband Gateway delivers scale and performance with uncompromised in-line IP services while enabling service creation with the Junos SDK for operators to innovate profitable data services.
· Mobile Control Gateway: Providing SGSN and MME functions for 2G/3G and LTE mobile packet cores, the MobileNext Control Gateway delivers control plane functions for mobile networks including user authentication and mobility management to redefine performance for the smartphone era.
· MobileNext Policy Manager: Integrating with the industry’s leading subscriber management systems, Juniper is offering choice and flexibility for mobile operators to control network and content resources and rapidly enable and monetize new applications.
“Mobile operators are under pressure to scale bandwidth, offer new services and drive profitability,” said Mike Iandolo, general manager and vice president of Mobile Business Unit at Juniper Networks. “With MobileNext, Juniper is providing a solution that delivers high-definition experience, investment protection and stronger economics. Our unique solution offers a programmable platform for operators to customize innovation that monetizes rich media data services.”
MobileNext offers rapid integration of new applications through Junos SDK to help mobile operators accelerate service innovation. Leveraging the Junos SDK, Juniper worked with Openwave Systems to deliver video optimization and application load balancing for mobile operators to build IP services and expedite time to revenue.
By tailoring the performance and open APIs to the smartphone revolution, Juniper transforms the business model of mobile core networks. As the mobile industry moves to IP-based services and architecture, Juniper is also offering a simplified, “any G” subscriber-based pricing model that is independent of radio access type and strengthens the economics of delivering data services for mobile operators.
"The data tsunami coming from smartphones and other mobile devices will continue to increase, fueled by more powerful devices and a shift from 3G to 4G/LTE," said Phil Solis, research director, Mobile Networks at ABI Research. "Through its open Junos SDK, Juniper's MobileNext delivers the service creation and service velocity operators need in the smartphone era, and the consolidation of best-in-class services in a single platform can reduce operators' total cost of ownership up to 56 percent.”
MobileNext Broadband Gateway, Control Gateway, and Policy Manager will be generally available in mid-2011. IP services including Deep Packet Inspection, Traffic Direct for Internet off-load, Carrier Grade NAT/Firewall, MPLS and Mobile Video Optimization are available today.
For more information about today’s launch, please refer to the following resources:
· Juniper at Mobile World Congress – www.juniper.net/mwc
· The Network Ahead blog – www.juniper.net/networkahead
· Juniper.Net Community – www.juniper.net/community
· Juniper’s Social Channels – www.juniper.net/social
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks is in the business of network innovation. From devices to data centers, from consumers to cloud providers, Juniper Networks delivers the software, silicon and systems that transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net).